Italian Getaway – Umbria by Vespa
The price corresponds to a departure with 4 travellers, with one Vespa for 2 persons.
The price includes:
- 4-day rental of one Vespa 125 cc for 2 people
- Unlimited mileage
- Transfer to and from Perugia airport
- 5 nights in a double room (on twin sharing basis) in a 3-star hotel – a wide selection of hotels is available
- Third-party insurance for the Vespa
- Fire and theft insurance for the Vespa, with a deductible of €350 in case of theft
- A helmet
- Road-book, detailed itinerary, trip notes in English and a list of recommended restaurants for each day of the itinerary
- Delivery of Vespa at the hotel
- Technical assistance
- Breakfast from Day 2 to Day 6 of the trip
The price does not include:
- Domestic and international flights
- Personal insurance coverage against repatriation and medical expenses
- Lunch and dinner
- Tariff, parking fee, tickets etc. for various tours and activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Anything not mentioned in ‘the price includes’ section
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Additional Vespa: €260
- Insurance against cancellation of €20 per person
- GPS: €50
- Limited Loss Damage Waiver: €50 per Vespa. By purchasing this option, you will not be liable for damage to the Vespa up to a maximum amount of €1,000. In the case of damage above €1,000, you will be liable to pay the difference between the damage amount and €1,000.
Day 1 Città della Pieve
Upon your arrival at the Perugia airport, a private vehicle will pick you up and drive you to your hotel in Città della Pieve. You can pick up your Vespa today afternoon or the next morning at the hotel, along with the helmet, the road-book, your itinerary for the 4 days and the trip notes in English. You are briefed by Roberta’s team on the Vespa and your trip. The trip is split into 4 loops commencing from and ending at Città della Pieve, corresponding to 4 days of your trip to discover Umbria.
Day 2 Loop 1 through Montepulciano
68 km of road - 2 hours of driving
The first day of your trip includes a relatively short itinerary to allow the less-experienced drivers to familiarize themselves with the Vespa.
First, you drive to the Etruscan town of Chiusi, home to the ancient Christian catacombs and a vast network of Etruscan that stretches underneath the town. After Chiusi, you take the road to the scenic Val di Chiana via Chianciano and drive till Montepulciano, a beautiful medieval village nestled between the hills and the vineyards. Roberta strongly recommends that you visit a wine cellar here before returning to Città della Pieve, passing through Acquaviva and Tre Berte.
Day 3 Loop 2 through Lago Trasimeno
114 km of road - 3 hours of driving
You leave from Città della Pieve to visit the beautiful surrounding areas of Lago Trasimeno. First stop of the day is in the lovely town of Panicale, known for some of the most beautiful natural terraces of Umbria. Here, you can marvel at beautiful panoramic views of the Nestor valley on one side and of Lago Trasimeno on the other. You then drive to the small fishing village of San Feliciano, located on the eastern shore of LagoTrasimeno. Here you can try driftnet fishing and explore the Polvese island. You continue your tour of the lake and its surrounding villages, Passignano Sul Trasimeno, Tuoro sul Trasimeno or Petrignano del Lago. The climate around the lake is very conducive to the cultivation of olives. You can also taste local olive oils produced in the oil mills in the vicinity. You return to Città della Pieve, driving through La Villa and Maranzo.
Day 4 Loop 3 through Orvieto
112 km of road - 3 hours of driving
You start the day by visiting Montegiove and its former convent, La Scarzuola. The monastery was remodeled by architect Tomaso Buzzi into a surreal complex of gardens and fountains depicting a vision of an ideal city where the sacred and the profane meet. Then you cross several small villages before reaching the beautiful hill town of Orvieto, famous for the golden façade of its majestic cathedral. The town is full of many other artistic sites that you can visit. You can also take a walk through the Palazzo del Gusto. Here you can taste discover some of the best wines of Umbria region, preserved in ancient Etruscan cellars. You return to Città della Pieve through Ficulle and Monteleone d’Orvieto.
Day 5 Loop 4 through Assisi
142 km of road – 3 hours 30 minutes of driving
On the last day of your Italy trip by Vespa, you leave from Città della Pieve to explore Assisi, a beautiful medieval town nestled in the hills of Umbria. You drive your Vespa through the scenic hills of Torgiano, a region well known for its wine. The sight of Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi emerging from the heart of this hilltop town will greet you upon your arrival in Assisi. Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of Italy, is recognized worldwide as a symbol of interfaith peace and for spreading the message of simplicity, sobriety, sincerity, and love. Assisi, with its stone houses and narrow streets taken by the Franciscan friars, has a very special and authentic charm. After Assisi, you resume your loop for Bettona, Deruta and Villanova, before returning to Città della Pieve for your last night in Umbria.